Valentine’s Day is an interesting time of year. You get some people who love it (pun intended, ha!) and you get some people who absolutely loathe the holiday. In fact there are some people who have anti-Valentine’s Day celebrations. And to all of that, I say, “To each their own.”
For me, personally, I’ve never had particularly magical Valentine’s Days. In fact, it wasn’t until I met my husband that I even had a valentine to speak of. That being said, he’s not a very romantic kind of guy, so we while we might go to dinner or something, it’s generally pretty much like any other day.
Make it about the WHOLE Family!
So this year I’ve decided that Valentine’s Day will be a day to celebrate another kind of love, the love of our family as a whole. I want Valentine’s to be inclusive for our family this year, where we celebrate all of our love, not just that of a traditional “valentine.”
That being decided, I started thinking about some Valentine’s Day decorations. But I realized that a lot of Valentine’s Day decorations either weren’t what I was looking for to portray the sentiment that I was aiming for or they were choking hazards of confetti or fire hazards full of candles. Not exactly family friendly. I wanted to find something that my kids could enjoy and that would brighten up the house and be nice to look at.
10 Most Family-friendly Valentine’s Day Decorations
So after scouring the internet, I’ve rounded up 10 of the most family-friendly Valentine’s Day decorations to help you celebrate the love of your entire family.
Some awesome materials to use to create these Valentine’s Day decorations that can be enjoyed by the whole family, are felt, yarn, paper, ribbon, balloons, tissue paper, doilies, wood, fabric, and more!
Garland is an awesome way to spruce up any area of the house. From your mantle, to doorways, to cabinets, the sky’s the limit. And you can use any combination of the materials I listed above to create just the right look for your style, home, and family.
- If you’ve got any of the Cricuts (which I just joined the club! Can’t wait to get into it more!), this is a really fun garland idea from Beth Kingston at Home Talk.
- This garland over at Recycled Crafts is a different take, and I love just how dainty and elegant it is!
- And I absolutely adore what you can do with paper, especially kid-friendly projects like this paper heart garland at The Gracious Wife.
Banners are a fun way to celebrate the season because, again, you can make them out of whatever material suits your fancy, and you can customize them to fit your family and say whatever they need to hear this Valentine’s Day.
- Printables like this banner from Thirty Handmade Days are an especially easy way to create some festivity for Valentine’s Day.
- Here’s another great printable banner from Mommy Evolution too!
Give your front door, or any door really, a nice spruce for your Valentine’s Day decorations this year. With wreaths, there are endless possibilities and levels of difficulty if you’re looking for a crafting challenge for your Valentine’s Day decorations.
- If you’re looking for a non-traditional take on a Valentine’s Day wreath, pop on over to my post on how I made one that meant something to me!
- I also found some awesome Valentine’s Day wreath ideas over at Southern Charm Wreaths that are worth a look at to gather some inspiration as well!
- Here’s a fun wreath that the kids would be able to help with as well, over at Livingly.com!
Why not incorporate some of your favorite family photos into your Valentine’s Day decorations. After all, isn’t that the reason for the season? This is really one of my favorite ways to incorporate the whole family into your decorations and just pull out some family photos that you may have forgotten about.
- This Tree of Love from Tatertots and Jello is an amazing way to feature those favorite family photos!
Signs and Wall Decor
Get your art on with some signs and wall decor with your favorite quote or saying related to the love you have for your family, for your Valentine’s Day decorations this year. There’s tons of easy, affordable ways to add a little holiday cheer to your home this Valentine’s day!
- For instance, check out this cute Valentine’s Day printable over at The Craft Patch!
- TomKat has some super cute printables for this Valentine’s Day as well!
- Or try your hand at some DIY heart art like those at Design Improvised!
Valentine’s Day decorations don’t have to be relegated to the indoors. There are so many cool ideas out there for sprucing up your patio or porch or your yard! You can show the whole world, or at least the neighborhood, your love for your family!
- Her Tool Belt’s got an awesome tutorial for a big “Love” sign for the porch!
- And there’s a ton of ideas over at From My Front Porch to Yours to make your front porch super festive this Valentine’s Day!
Decorative Pillows and Textiles
Changing out the textiles in your home seasonally or for the holidays is a really fun family-friendly, squishy way to spruce up your Valentine’s Day decorations.
- Check out these super easy, no-sew Valentine’s Day heart pillows over at Lady and the Blog!
- And The Thrifty Kiwi has rounded up a plethora of awesome pillow idea for Valentine’s Day. One of these has to be just right for your Valentine’s Day decorations!
I stumbled upon this super cute idea that’s probably for kids in school, but I think that it would be really fun to decorate little boxes with everyone and then you could slip little notes or things that you love about one another. You could even put little treats inside!
- Here’s a nice tutorial from The Keeper of Cheerios for a cardboard valentine mailbox that you could decorate in any way, a great starting-off point!
Tablecloths and Centerpieces
I think of the dining room table as the heart of the home, and as such, it is an amazing place to decorate for the seasons and holidays. It really brings the family together in such a fun way, and Valentine’s Day decorations are no different. There are so many options, from a simple tablecloth to ornate centerpieces. Choose what works for your style and your family!
- This simple but super cute table runner from A Night Owl blog is one of my favorites!
- And I just love this 10-minute tablescape at Today’s Creative Life! Just shows that it doesn’t have to be time-consuming or difficult to be beautiful!
Back before the days of central air, the fireplace was another central hub of the home, very much akin to the dining table. And I think, to some degree, the idea still persists, at least from an interior design perspective. So changing your mantle decor out seasonally or for the holidays is another fun way to make a statement in your home. And there are tons of ideas out there on how to do this with Valentine’s Day decorations as well!
- If you need some inspiration, check out these awesome mantle ideas compiled by Warm Cozy Home!
Go Forth and Love!
I hope these ideas truly inspire you to celebrate ALL of the love in your life! And I hope you have a truly beautiful Valentine’s Day and a fun time crafting to prepare for it!