This is my list of vegetable gardening resources that I’ve compiled for beginners just like me!
So now that I’ve got my raised garden bed, I went and got some plants and started myself a vegetable garden. As with most things in my life, I’m a little bit behind where I want to be. It’s the middle of May and I’m just now planting, but, you know, as they say, better late than never.
So I planted a few things that I found at the local nursery and some Bonnie vegetables that I got at Home Depot. I couldn’t find starters of everything that I wanted, so I even tried some direct sowing. At this point, I’m just kind of seeing what sticks, and I will have a more strategic plan next year.
However, in doing all of this, as I do with almost everything, I have been doing a lot of reading and research. And this is serving to show me exactly how much I don’t know. Seriously, I know nothing about vegetable gardening.
I’ve done some other cultivating and taken botany classes in college. Heck, I’ve even taken a evolution of plant form and function course. But I really didn’t know anything about growing a garden for consumption.
So as with many of the things that I share on Homebody Hall, I’m learning as I go and sharing the things that I’ve learnt with you, to make your journey easier than mine. In that spirit, this post is full of awesome resources that I have found about growing vegetable gardens. I’ve got resources on everything from what to plant to what to do when something goes wrong. I haven’t tried all of these, but these links should give a good starting place.
Now, you’ll notice one big trend when you look at this list of vegetable gardening resources that I’ve compiled. I really like resources that come from academic institutions. They tend to be less biased than some of the other sources you can find, and they’re generally not trying to sell you anything.
Also, for the tools, these are actually things that I used and really like. Perhaps, not the same brand, but something similar. I will be honest, I actually found the garden row marking line, dibber, and planting ruler in the Dollar Spot at Target. So keep your eyes out for good deals!
When to Plant (Based on Your Location)
What to Grow
- Texas A&M AgriLife: Easy Vegetables to Grow
Companion Plants and “Enemy” Plants
- Farmers’ Almanac: 10 Veggies that Should Grow Together
- First Tunnels: The Complete Guide into the World of Companion Planting
- Planet Natural Research Center: Companion Plants
- Urban Farmer: Vegetable Companion Planting Chart
Growing In Small Spaces
- Grow Veg: Growing Fruit and Vegetables in Small Spaces
- Planet Natural Research Center: Intensive Vegetable Gardening
- Hobby Farms: Trellising Fruits and Vegetables Saves Garden Space
Pruning and Training your Vegetable Garden
- Organic Authority: Pruning Vegetable Plants: Hands-On Your Plants, Literally
- Old World Garden Farms: Pruning Vegetable Plants – Why Trimming and Thinning Is a Must!
- Tower Garden: Prune Your Plants for Bigger Yields
- Produce Grower: The Basics of Training and Pruning Plants
- Dave’s Garden: Best Plant Training Techniques
Vegetable Gardening Resources for Pest and Disease Management
- UMass Amherst, The Center for Agriculture, Food and the Environment: Disease Management in the Home Vegetable Garden
- Gardener’s Supply Company: How to Work with Nature to Minimize Pest and Disease Problems
- UGA Extension: Disease Managment in the Home Vegetable Garden
- Aggie Horticulture Network: Chapter VII Disease Management
- Michigan State University: IPM: Smart Pest Management for the Vegetable Garden
- Agricultural Extension Service, The University of Tennessee: Disease Control in the Home Vegetable Garden
- Virginia Cooperative Extension: Common Disease and Insect Pests of the Vegetable Garden
- Grow Veg: Easy Weeding for Vegetable Gardens
- Gardening Know How: Tips for Controlling Weeds in a Vegetable Garden
- Fine Gardening: Six Tips for Effective Weed Control
- Today’s Homeowner: Weed-Proofing a Vegetable Garden
- Savvy Gardening: Organic Weed Control Tips for Gardeners
Vegetable Gardening Resources regarding Nutrients, Soil Amendments, and Fertilizer
- Tenth Acre Farm: 9 Organic Soil Amendments for Growing Vegetables
- Farmers’ Almanac: Preparing Soil for Planting
- Planet Natural Research Center: Soil Amendments for Your Garden
- The Imperfectly Happy Home: Awesome Soil Amendments for Your Organic Vegetable Garden
- You Should Grow: 5 Weird Garden Soil Amendments for a Healthier Vegetable Garden
- Farmers’ Almanac: When to Water Your Vegetable Garden | Watering Chart
- MNN: Are You Watering Your Veggies the Right Way?
- Grow Veg: 10 Smart Watering Tips for Your Vegetable Garden
- Bonnie Plants: Hot Summer Tips for Watering the Garden
- Gardener’s Supply Company: The Top 5 Watering Myths
- HGTV: The Proper Way to Water Your Garden
- Grow Veg: Storing and Preserving Your Garden Harvest
- University of Minnesota: Harvesting and Storing Home Garden Vegetables
- University of Illinois Extension, A Taste of Gardening: Storing Vegetables
- Farmers’ Almanac: How to Store Vegetables
- Mother Earth News: Food Storage: 20 Crops that Keep and How to Store Them
No post found!