Part 2 of a dining set reimagined!
This post, I will go through my fabric choice and what I did to reupholster my kitchen chair cushions. As I said, this table set has been an incredibly drawn out project. In fact, I started while this blog was just a twinkle in my eye, so I don’t have all of the photos that I would like of the process. However, I’m hoping that you’ll be forgiving of that and still enjoy the results.
Overall the table and chairs were in really great shape, very sturdy and not too many blemishes. The cushions and fabric were hardly worn at all and, frankly, an upgrade since my current set doesn’t have any cushions at all. Honestly, the entire set didn’t look like it had been used very much. I also love the details, like the floral design at the top of the chairs and the finials.
So the first thing I did was purchase fabric. That old, ‘70s, yellow-green velvet (you know the one) was just not going to happen in my house. For projects that require fabric, I like to pick my fabric first. Then I can pull the entire color scheme for the project from colors in the fabric.
I found this sturdy home decor fabric for about $5 per yard at Walmart, of all places. If you’ve ever shopped for home decor fabric, you know is a steal. I wanted a country, cottage feel, so the floral print lended itself nicely to that. However, it’s a large floral print with nice, deep, saturated colors, so it’s not too busy or feminine. It’s also quite neutral except for the pop of red. And since this shows up throughout my house, I felt like it would work nicely in the center of the home.
How to Reupholster Kitchen Chair Cushions
The cushions were in good enough shape that I could just use those and recover them. I chose not to take off the old fabric or anything, just vacuumed them out really well and then got to work.
I cut the fabric into squares just larger than the dimensions of the cushions and stapled one side onto the back of the cushion, into the wood. Then I pulled the fabric tight on the side opposite of the staples and stapled that side.
I repeated that process for the remaining two sides and finished off with the corners. I pulled the corners as taught as I could and affixed them in a position that allowed for the greatest amount of continuity along the sides. This was my first time upholstering anything, and I found these cushions were a great beginner upholstery project.
Once the cushions were all reupholstered, I sprayed them all with two coats of Scotchgard (because kids).
Because this seemed like the least daunting part of redoing the dining set, this was all that was done for quite a while. Eventually I did get to priming the set. And I made one attempt at painting, which I will talk about in my next post.
Catch my updates on Facebook and Instagram and learn more about my story on my About page. Also, if you missed it, visit my last post to find out what this project’s all about! If you’re curious, you can also check out my posts on how I painted the dining set, reupholstered the backs of the chairs, and resined the tabletop.
No post found!